Design 1
menu bar 2 Milltek Sport VW

2018   ///

Volkswagen_5 Start_3 (2) Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter follow-us-on-instagram Design 1


By Andrea Hurcombe, Sep 11 2018 04:02PM

Milltek Sport Volkswagen Racing Cup - Race 1

Milltek Volkswagen Racing Cup Race 1 saw Simon Walton on pole, Jamie Bond in 2nd with his new Team-HARD team-mate Joshua Jackson in 3rd. Josh Coggan, Ruaridh Clark and Owen Walton completed the top 6 on the grid.

At the start, Bond charged straight into the lead. As the field approached Hawthorn Bend, S Walton had an incident, making contact with Jackson, which caused a domino effect with Coggan and Martin Depper. The Safety Car was deployed, quickly followed by the red flag to allow safe retrieval of S Walton and Jackson’s cars.

The grid reformed to re-start the race but unfortunately car number 9 (S Walton) and car number 101 (Jackson) were missing from the field due to damage. Josh Coggan was also not able to take the restart as he was unable to pull away on the green flag lap.

As the race got underway for the second time, Bond again led into the first corner with Ruaridh Clark charging into 2nd with Owen Walton behind. Light rain started to fall, with all drivers on slick tyres. O Walton dived up the inside of Clark to take 2nd place as Mark Wakefield had carved his way through the field from 9th on the grid to 4th. Paul Taylor and Darron Lewis were close behind.

On lap 3, O Walton was closing in on Bond at Clervaux who held off the challenge. After making a good start, Tom Walker went off at Sunny In re-joining the race safely. Bond maintained the lead, albeit with a few slippery moments particularly through the Jim Clark Esses.

With 8 minutes of the race to go, Wakefield was challenging Clark, making a valiant and successful move at the hairpin to start the next lap ahead and into the final podium position. Lewis also made a move on Taylor, putting him up to 5th place.

As the rain came down a little harder, conditions were more treacherous catching Tom Witts out at Clervaux, who ended up in the tyre barrier. Witts was uninjured and his car was safely recovered under waved yellow flags without the need for a safety car.

With 5 minutes left to race and the rain stopped, Bond opened up a gap of 3.562 seconds to O Walton, overtaking the backmarker of Simon Tomlinson. Wakefield was also closing in on O Walton, lapping 1.5 seconds faster, apparently relishing the damp conditions. Lewis had gained on a struggling for grip Clark and moved in to attack for 4th position with Taylor close behind.

On the final lap Bond had pulled a significant gap on O Walton, winning the race 7.196 seconds ahead to further extend his Championship lead. O Walton finished 2nd just 1.220 seconds ahead of Wakefield in 3rd.

O Walton posted the fastest lap of the race of 1:32.818 in his Audi TT with Maximum Motorsport’s Darron Lewis crossing the line in 5th and winning the Hankook Trophy for the first time.

No penalties were issued for this race.

Milltek Sport Volkswagen Racing Cup - Race 2

The final race of the day belonged to Milltek Sport Volkswagen Racing Cup Race 2, with Paul Taylor on pole and Darron Lewis joining him on the front row in 2nd place.

As they all raced towards the first corner Taylor maintained the lead with Lewis, Ruaridh Clark and Jamie Bond close behind. Tom Walker spun off at Clervaux, managing to control the car to re-join the back of the pack. Tony Prendergast also took a trip across the grass, re-joining the race. With Taylor running wide at Sunny In, Lewis took the lead with Bond taking 2nd place from Clark with Wakefield on a charge in 4th place.

On lap 2 Jack Depper made a brave move on Simon Tomlinson down the start/finish straight, taking the place and pulling away.

Josh Coggan paid a visit to the pits on lap 3 and was able to re-join the race. Meanwhile, Wakefield continued his charge, taking 3rd place from Clark who was defending heavily from Martin Depper.

At the start of lap 5 Bond and Wakefield were weaving their way down the straight behind Lewis with Bond and Lewis making light contact. Wakefield made a fantastic move up the inside of both Bond and Lewis at Tower to go from 3rd to 1st and pulled away from the chasing pack.

For the next few laps the trio of Bond, Lewis and M Depper were battling for the podium places. Clark re-joined the fight by lap 8. M Depper claimed 2nd place from Lewis at the hairpin at the end of the lap. Lewis was fighting back as M Depper ran wide at Sunny, dropping him back to 5th place. With Bond and Lewis now side by side having a drag race down the start/finish straight, Clark dived up the inside of Bond to take 3rd place, taking M Depper with him. Wakefield had by now pulled a 3.538 second gap from 2nd placed Lewis.

On lap 11 Joshua Jackson and Matthew Evans were having a great battle in what seemed to be equally matched cars. This battle continued for several laps.

With 4 minutes of the race to go, the battles continued. As the trio of M Depper, Bond and Clark approached the Complex, M Depper flew over the kerb making contact with Clark. Bond also sustained heavy damage to the front of his car.

As the chequered flag was readied, Wakefield took a convincing first time VW Racing Cup win. Lewis crossed the line 2nd with Bond bringing his battered number 56 car home for the final podium place. M Depper followed in 4th with Clark in 5th.

Mark Wakefield posted the fastest lap time of 1:32.572 as JWB Motorsport’s Matthew Evans crossed the line in 7th place to claim the Hankook Trophy for the first time.

Post- race, Martin Depper was disqualified for a technical infringement, with an amended classification being issued.

Please note - The results for this race remain provisional until the final round at Donington Park, whilst the Clerk of The Course undertakes a driving standards review of the incidents that took place during this race.

Add a comment
* Required