Design 1
menu bar 2 Milltek Sport VW

2018   ///

Volkswagen_5 Start_3 (2) Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter follow-us-on-instagram Design 1


By karlbowdrey, Jun 12 2016 06:05PM

Silverstone Grand Prix circuit played hosts to rounds 6 and 7 of the 2016 Milltek Sport Volkswagen Racing Cup where the weather effected the running order.

With the largest grid of the season taking on the 3.66-mile Northamptonshire circuit all eyes were on the sky. A sudden downpour moments before played havoc with some team qualifying plans, but it didn’t take Phil House long to top the timing table.

With House setting the pace early on it was all to play for. Toby Davis, Walker-Tulley and Bobby Thompson were facing a 3-way fight to who would line up on the front row, topping each others times lap after lap.

Phil House “Well that was a little bit of a surprise but yeah I’m happy. I’m always aiming for the top 4 especially at a circuit like this.”

As the cars assembled for the opening race of the weekend one thing was clear – the weather wasn’t improving anytime soon.

As House lead the pack through Copse, the spray blinded the followers behind, but it didn’t take long for the pack battles to emerge.

It was only 1 lap before House and Thompson started what turned out to be one of the greatest championship pack battles of the season to date. Lap after Lap Thompson was looking to take the lead and on several attempts did succeed, but House managed to reclaim the position each time on the cut back before taking the chequered flag on lap 8.

Toby Davis, who made a disappointing start was fighting his way back through the grid but was struggling to get past Witts who sat in 3rd for the majority of the race. Witts locked up on the final lap giving Davis the perfect opportunity to make the pass to claim the final step on the podium and demoting Witts to 4th.

Rob Allum, a new-comer to the championship this weekend made an impressive debut in the series taking 5th place and fastest lap.

Jamie Bond left the track early on the race having our braked himself but managed to recover joining his Team Hard team mates Kenan Dole, Kieran Gordon and James Walker to finish middle of the pack.

Paul Ivens, Richard Walker and Mark Smith found themselves right in the mix of things. All struggling for visibility they kept it clean and completed the race in 10th, 11th and 12th.

John Langridge, another championship new-comer for the weekend found himself having a pack battle with Paul Dehadray and John Robins but Langridge came out on top in 13th with Dehadray in 14th and Robins in 15th.

Phil Morris who returned to the championship for the first time this weekend finished in 16th with Tim Docker, another championship new-comer in 17th.

Damani Marcano was involved in an incident with Jack Walker-Tully, Marcano blinded by the spray attempted an overtake before colliding with Walker-Tulley who’s Scirocco had cut out on him.

Simon Rudd also surcome to the frantic weather conditions, aqua plaining on the Hangar straight which resulted in unfortunate contact with the wall.

Bobby Thompson “The car was fantastic. Power Maxed Racing put a fantastic car out. We made a few last minute changes just to soften it up on the rear a little bit, and it seemed to have helped massively. There was so much standing water on the track I had to pull out of my line to see – I had a go at it but its all about points at this stage.”

Toby Davis “I made a pretty rubbish start, I asked Tony (Gilham) for some advice off the line, and I just forgot about it so I bogged down a little bit, but I managed to squeeze past a couple of cars. I had a great battle with Witts, but you just can’t get too close because you just couldn’t see but on the final lap he made a small error coming out of Beckets, and I managed to get right along side him, thankfully he saw me and I made it through. I’m over the moon with 3rd place. That was my first wet race I ticking a load of firsts off this year, its all alien to me and I’m learning it all from scratch but I think the pace was there I did the very best I could and thankfully a podium is the outcome.”

Phil House “Treacherous. Absolutely treacherous. Possibly one of the worst first couple of laps I have ever done - the standing water was just crazy. Bobby (Thompson) was hot on my heels. He defiantly had the pace on me but he kept it a nice clean, fair race which is how it should be and at the end of the day we are both on the podium.”

As the teams begun to assemble in the holding area for race 2 there was a sudden downpour which delayed the race start. Following further inspection from the circuit director the decision was made to abandon the race meeting under safety grounds.

The Milltek Sport Volkswagen Racing Cup next head across the channel to Spa Francorchamps for rounds 8 and 9.

Add a comment
* Required